Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Gumball Machine 1: The Back Story



Gumball Machine with Secret Knock

Part 1:  The back story

 Some projects are simply more fun than others.  This gumball machine, designed by Steve Hoefer, was such a project for me.

Click here to see the gumball machine in action

The back story.   I began this project almost 2 years ago.  My son, Louis, gave me a subscription to  Make magazine. My first issue had an article by Steve Hoefer with instructions for the gumball machine.  The heart (and brain) of the machine is a small microprocessor called Arduino. Louis and I loved the idea of the machine.  The machine is totally superfluous to our lives and the dispensing mechanism, a secret knock, could not be cooler.  Louis and I are both interested in computers but neither of us had experience building circuits or even soldering.  Taking this project on promised a sweet, new adventure.


Even very simple things can be daunting to a novice.  Building the cabinet was a piece of cake for me but the electronics was not.  Although keeping track of the resistors, potentiometers, switches, servos and LEDS was not impossible, soldering is a skill with a real learning curve.   I am old.  My hands are not steady, my eyes are worse, and the parts to be soldered are tiny.  After a few faint hearted forays, the project languished.  A baby was born to Louis (a beautiful girl) and I went on to other projects. 


A recent, fortuitous meeting with Audie Roberts, a biochemist, resulted in a lab tour.  There I saw several electronic lab pieces that Audie had cobbled together from “discarded” and over the counter components.  And, this capable “maker” was willing (actually eager) to help on the gumball project.  At the end of two days we had the circuits done and tested.  From there it was a matter of getting the electronics, the mechanics and the cabinetry to work together.  Nothing ever works the way one hopes on the first try but with a couple of tweaks and a prayer, success.  I need never be without gumballs again.

For more about  building the cabinet click here.
For more about the electronics, click here.
Visit my website

No comments:

Post a Comment